On 1 July 2018 a unique NSW agency was born.
Sydney Metro, previously a project management office in Transport for NSW, acquired extraordinary powers by amendment of the Transport Administration Act.
(Creating a big, powerful urban corporation is transport administration?)
Sydney Metro is Jekyll and Hyde:
- public transport engineer – and profit driven entrepreneur
- place maker – yet it’s a PR machine loose with the facts
- custodian of civic spaces – and terminator of them
- builder of public works on public land – a and fast-tracked commercial developer
- builder of state significant development – and promoter of private towers claiming the same privileges
- a state agency that ‘helps create vibrant places and communities’ – yet its deals are secret, they’re ‘commercial in confidence’.
That explains why ‘over station development’ is really ‘over development’.